Saturday, September 6, 2008

Bueno!

There is a little auto mechanic shop in Fontana (yes I was in Fontana) named "Si Se Puede Smog Check." I laughed out loud, but then realized that at least they were using the phrase in its natural way. For those of you who don't know, Wikipedia says this:

Sí, se puede (Spanish for "Yes, It can be done!" or "Yes, you (formal) can do it!") is the motto of the United Farm Workers. In 1972, during Cesar Chavez's 25 day fastPhoenix, Arizona, he and UFW's co-founder, Dolores Huerta came up with the slogan.[1] in

The phrase has been widely adopted by other labor unions and civil rights organizations and drew widespread political and media attention as a rallying cry during the 2006 U.S. immigration reform protests

I, for one, would love to take my car to "Yes, it can be done!" smog check. Yes, please. I would not, however, love to go to a United Farmworkers rally.

No comments: