Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wedding teaser

We did it! The wedding has finally come and gone (pictures will be posted soon), and it was a success (with all the little dramas of the day, at the end of it all we are married, after all). At this point, it is still all a giant blur. I don't remember much of the ceremony, except it being very funny at moments, like when I almost fell walking down the slippery aisle, or when I couldn't get J's ring onto his finger, or when we both started repeating after the Rabbi when we were not supposed to. No wedding is perfect, but it's the little things that make it "yours."

We had very little time for pictures, b/c the hair and makeup took soooo long. The groomsmen were rowdy, and very hard to get them to stand still. J's family is huge, and to get them all into a picture was an adventure, so by the time all that was done we had almost no time for portraits. The photographer was amazing, and she snapped some photos of just the two of us later in the night, outside by a fountain and a fireplace, so hopefully those will turn out well.

My dad's toast was hilarious. I don't know if he got the "toast, not roast" concept, but it worked. Everyone was cracking up and tearing up at the same time. My beautiful bridesmaids all spoke, and each one made me cry. J's boys also did well - he has amazing friends who really love him a lot, and it showed.

The hora was out of control. I never thought that many people would participate, but I swear the entire wedding was out on the dance floor, surrounding us in circles. Once the chairs were up in the air, it was absolutely insane. The sheer terror of falling, combined with watching everyone dance around us was totally surreal and wonderful.

At the end of it all, what we really wanted was a good party. Lots of yummy food, great music (the DJ was a superstar!) and an open bar didn't hurt, either. The last few hours of the reception were my absolute favorite. All our friends and immediate family stuck around til the very end, drinking, dancing, goofing off. There was an impromptu rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody by all the guys, a chorus of "I got friends in low places" and a hilarious serenade of "You've lost that loving feeling." Faith and Ryan performed their gift to us, an interpretive dance set to "Power of love" by Huey Lewis. We laughed so hard we almost cried. I was dancing around with bottles of beer in my well-manicured hands.

I wish it lasted longer. I wish we could repeat it over and over, so that I wouldn't miss a single moment. I wish there were 500 cameras following us around all day. But at the end of the day, I have a husband who loves me in a way I've always wanted to be loved, and whom I adore to the moon and the stars. I couldn't have asked for more.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Awww - your wedding was definitely my absolute favorite ever. Beautiful setting, amazing people, good music and the funkiest dancing this side of Patrick Swayze. I loved being able to be a part of it and the little memory pop ups from that night going on in my head will keep me laughing for awhile.

An amazing day and I'm so truly happy for you both.

Also, you need to have a vow renewal in 10 years so we can do it all over again.

faithsalutes said...

This was one of the best experiences of my life.

Stephanie said...

:) It was a gorgeous day, and I couldn't be happier for the two of you.

And apparently you like my photos! *pats self on shoulder*