Saturday, January 26, 2008

Best thing since sliced bread

I signed up for Netflix. Finally. And I don't know why I hadn't done it before. I love love love movies, I hate hate hate paying $11+ to see one in a crowded theater. Exhibit one: when we saw 27 Dresses last week, it was $10.50 for a "student" ticket - more than that for a normal one. We sat in good seats, but were promptly joined by 2 hobos who proceeded to mumble through the entire thing. The man hobo got up 100 times, brought back food for the female hobo, who was wearing a night shirt and smelled like a sewer. I'd rather watch movies in my own living room, hence the decision to sign up for Netflix. Plus, there are hundreds of movies that are not in the theaters anymore that I'd love to see, and hundreds that I don't want to see enough to pay ticket prices for, but still want to watch. Because my life is so boring right now, I will play movie reviewer, in case my 2 readers care.

(1) Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly. Blah. It was OK enough, I guess. The guy playing Mr. Darcy was completely miscast. Colin Firth he was not. Not good looking enough, and this guy only had one facial expression = constipated. Like a blank wall. Keira was decent, but not great - it's like she and the other actors didn't know what to do with the bland Darcy, and thus everyone else in the movie was overacting. Final grade = 3 out of 5.

(2) Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst. Let me preface this by saying i HATE Kirsten Dunst. But the movie I did not hate. It was gorgeously filmed, well-directed. The clothes and colors were gorgeous. Sort of a weird combo of period drama and a modern indie flick. I liked the idea, although I don't necessarily think it worked out all that well. And Molly freakin Shannon was in it as one of the courtiers. Good to know that Molly Shannon only has one character she can play. Herself. Final grade = 3.5

Next up, Waitress. This one better be good!

P.S. I'd like to give a quick shout out to Steph, who provided the Sprinkles cupcakes for the movie extravaganza. Sprinkles never fails in putting me in a sugar coma. What the hell do they put in that frosting, crack?

Update: Waitress was awesome! Love love love. My girl crush on Keri Russell is fully rekindled.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Waitress was tre awesome.