Monday, January 21, 2008

Painter of kitch

I saw an ad for this thing in some magazine a while ago, and almost threw up.

Can someone explain the Thomas Kinkade obsession to me? WTF? He sells his shit at "galleries" at the mall!!! Painter of light? I'm all about American culture. I love it. I do. But this crap is literally what is wrong with America. How anyone can consider this "art" is beyond me. Just as I cannot forgive certain rappers for infecting their own "culture" by glorifying violence, drug use, and hatred of women, I cannot forgive this so-called "painter" for infecting the mall-going middle America with this absolutely ludicrous excuse for "art." Thoughts?

2 comments:

Jen said...

I liked him when his stuff very first came out because it was pretty to look at, but I wouldn't have bought a piece. Now, unfortunately, it's just too mass produced and is in every boring yayhoo's home and too many of those annoying women (e.g. scrapbookers, women who wear disney/looney toon characters on their clothing, toddler beauty pageant moms) fawn all over it.

Personally I am way more offended by soft-pastel "paintings" of things like boats in water, or gardens and other mass printed crap that's in every corporate bathroom and hallway and easily found in discount "art" bins. Hate, hate.

Unknown said...

Jen. I'm disowning you for thinking TK shit is "pretty." You are no longer allowed to offer wedding design advice. Well, you can offer it, but I will just laugh and point out that you like TK, thus your opinion is clearly not normal.