Friday, January 18, 2008

"Have a happy period."

I've been meaning to blog about this for a looooong time, but kept forgetting. This commercial drives me INSANE. I want to laugh, cry, and call my Congressman (woman? Who is my Congressman/woman?). African girls are missing school because they don't have American tampons??? Who is dumb enough to fall for this? The rest of the world gets by. For thousands of years women got by. Surely there are other ways to deal with that one week out of the month? This has to be the most flagrant, self aggrandizing piece of propaganda couched in "save the world" sentimentality. I guess all it takes to send African girls to school is tampons. I don't know why we haven't figured that one out before! If you don't donate/send tampons/whatever you are depriving these girls of an education! Stingy stingy stingy. For some reason, I think stopping the ongoing waives of genocide happening all over the continent is going to do much more for these girls' education than tampons. Call me crazy. Or call your Congressman (or woman. If it's a woman, ask her to send over some feminine hygiene products).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my god! love this blog..scheisse...i don't have time to read it all right now..all i have to say is "YES. YES. and YES.".

and YES.

bridget